From Trash to Treasure…

The best things really do come to you when you’re not looking.  I love a good antique/vintage shop, browsing,  wandering around aimlessly.  Several months ago I happened to pass a shop on my way home from work.  I thought to myself, “Why not stop and take a look around?” And that’s where I found it…the project that was waiting for me.  I was looking at the chairs and the man that worked in the shop asked me if I was looking for something in particular.  I really didn’t need a chair, but I wanted one.  So he showed me a few that really weren’t my style and I just continued to browse around and was about to leave  when he brought out this….


I had really thought that the chair looked awful, but the bones of it were great.  He told me that it is a great chair to reupholster and that it wouldn’t be that hard.  He asked me to make an offer…and for $25 it was mine…and I had myself a project!  The next step was choosing a fabric.  There are so many great fabrics, but I ended up on my favorite website,!  It was a hard decision, but  a fun one and I chose a turquoise and off white french inspired fabric…





The first step was removing all of the old, rusty upholstery tacks.  This proved a tedious task as the tacks were very difficult to remove with out damaging the wood or popping them out across the room and leaving the sharp rusty tacks all over the floor.  But it became an easy once we figured out the method that worked.  We used an upholstery tack removing tool and wedged it under the tacks and slowly pried them up and then off.



Some of the old tacks were salvageable, but many were damaged from removal, either they were badly bent or the head of the tack had completely popped off.  I wasn’t sure how many of the tacks I would use, since I had purchased a coordinating turquoise trim to go along the edges.



We were careful to look  how the chair was assembled as we removed the old fabric so that when we reassembled the chair it would be an easier job.


The stuffing that was underneath the old fabric was in decent shape and I saved myself a lot of time by using the existing material.


I then placed the old pieces of fabric on the new fabric and used it as a pattern.   I traced along the old pieces and allowed an additional 2 inches to fold over to make a seam.



I then placed the new, cut pieces over the chair to ensure a proper fit.  I did have to cut another seat for the chair because it was too small and I did not allow enough fabric for the curve along the bottom edge of the seat.



We then folded the fabric over to make a clean line and began stapling the fabric to the frame as close to the wood as possible.  It was important to pull the fabric tightly as possible as  we stapled to ensure a proper fit.



We then continued…folding, pulling and stapling the fabric around the whole frame of the chair.  I then took the trim and hot glued it as close to the wood as possible covering the staples.


And…at last it was done!  I was so happy with the completed project!!


But…the best part of all was what I found inside the chair!!  On the floor, under the chair, as  I was taking it apart was a 1918 Mercury Dime.  I was shocked!  The chair now has a story.  And I wondered…who’s pocket change was this, when did this happen?



I couldn’t bear to put the dime away in a box, so I decided to make it into a necklace.  I purchased a coin bezel from ebay for about $10…And this necklace now has a story too!


The Man-dalier

FullSizeRender (6)

I also had to add the creative genius of my boyfriend.  He transformed the chandelier in the dining room into a very unique lighting option.  Balvenie Scotch Whiskey comes in these cardboard paper cylinders.  He thought that they should be put to a better use and he created the



FullSizeRender (1)


FullSizeRender (2)

It actually creates a softer, more ambient lighting…and it is genius!


mel_sigflower post divider






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: